~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

March 21, 2007

Shifting focus… projects to people

I’ve been in Africa for two months now, and almost daily I have visited some kind of project related to grassroots organizing and social change. It’s been an absolutely incredible learning experience, and I am still trying to digest the many intriguing ideas and complex issues that we are collectively facing.

I’m noticing, however, that I’m starting to refine my direction... instead of trying to meet a whole pile of interesting groups in each place (it’s getting tiring), I am going with the flow more and if I find a person who seems especially interesting, I’ll hang out with him or her. After months of a more formal scan of organizations/projects, I am letting go of my need for structure. I still choose my destinations based on a contact that I have, but I let my days be filled with whatever comes up in the moment. And of course, I am still learning about issues and discovering solutions, but in more of an organic style. Feels more real…

No comments: