~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

March 21, 2007

More Shack Dwellers International and Federations of the Poor and Homeless...

See February 6th’s blog entry for my introduction to Shack Dweller’s International (www.sdinet.org). This group has deeply impressed me in every way… they are the only international NGO that I have encountered that is actually empowering grassroots communities to stand on their own, while they use their professional expertise to serve the communities and leverage funds.

They really have an interesting model, and I have had a great time meeting so many of the SDI-associated communities – in four different countries! I don’t think my description can do it justice… but here goes…

Basically, they have eight tools, or rituals as they call them, that communities use to save money, survey their community, build tangible skills, teach each other and negotiate with City officials to provide adequate land, housing or services. And, I should also mention that SDI is a women-driven organization… people in every country said to me “Women in front!!” Key.

They also support community exchanges so that communities can learn directly from each other, without the need of an “outside expert” to hold their hands. This is powerful. Also powerful is that SDI is a network of networks, all rooted in the grassroots. I wont get into the organizational structure of the whole model (but it’s great—ask me about it)… but I’ll just mention the international network that has formed is an incredible way for communities from different countries to support each other… for example, the network in Zimbabwe called upon the network in Namibia to assist with negotiating with the City for land, something that the Namibians had good experience with.

And the SDI model helps people secure housing and basic needs in a way that builds such a strong local community that people stay connected and supportive even after they have shelter. After all, a secure and healthy place to live, combined with an empowered local community, is fundamental for any vision of peace or sustainability.

Here are some stories of communities I have met… each one exemplifying a different aspect of the SDI ‘rituals.’

I'M SO SORRY: HAVING INTERNET ISSUES AND I WILL HAVE TO POST MORE DETAILS SOON....





Livingstone, Zambia

OOOPS: THE INTERNET WON'T LET ME LOAD PHOTOS RIGHT NOW... SO CHECK BACK IN A FEW DAYS!

Lusaka, Zambia








Harare, Zimbabwe

No comments: