~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

May 12, 2007

A small village in Zanzibar

So, when my body and mind both needed a rest from my cross-pollination journey, I spent a week in Nunge Village, the northernmost point of Zanzibar Island.


The coastline at high tide… at low tide we walked 30 minutes down to the next village for the Almost Full Moon/May Day party. Good times.


This is Sele, who gave me the most delicious cardamom/cinnamon coffee every day. He also gave me great life advice.


The village is very mellow… I went there for all my meals (avoiding the tourist places on the beach). Every day, I ate deeeelicious rice and beans, chappatis and tea, all made with fresh spices. Yum yum. This photo is of Fatma, one of the two women who fed me dinner each night. They would pull a table into the “sidewalk” area and people would congregate. I loved it. (I didn’t catch a photo of our dinners, so here are my friends at the spot where we ate.)

No comments: