~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

March 29, 2008

Green Living Expo

Alright, I'm going to start with my cynicism: "green SUVs"?!? I just don't buy it. But that's the point... half of the Green Living Expo felt like it was about satisfying consumer culture's desire to feel a little better about itself by replacing our current toys with "green" versions. I mean, I agree this could be considered a step in the right direction, but I have to say that I am craving the nationwide discussion on green living to get to the deepest piece of it all: rethinking the foundations on which current culture is built: the attitude of consumption, deserved luxury, "freedom of choice".

Another phenomenally ironic booth at the Green Living Expo: a development company in Costa Rica advertising its wild, green, "yet to be developed" land. Live in a luxury "green" home!

But how can it be “green living” if the people who can afford to live in Costa Rica colonize virgin rainforest, displace locals, commute to the U.S. (presumably to work or visit family & friends), raise prices in the area, and generally bring “American luxury” into gated communities in other countries? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

So, the other half of the expo was much more inspiring to me… and oh, wow, many of these folks happen to be my friends! On the right you can see Noel and his beautiful earthen plasters, and on the left is Sukita with her earthen floors… and Robyn, the beautiful light of the Sustainable Business Alliance. I love my friends!

No comments: