~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

February 10, 2007

STORY: Robben Island

We visited Robben Island, where political prisoners like Nelson Mandela were locked up for decades.

I've been reading Mandela's autobiography (pictured here at his cell, where he lived for 18 years and wrote part of this book in secret)...

There are a lot of confusing layers with the various social movements involved with the apartheid (which I will get into later), but I put aside my critiques while I was at Robben Island, and just took in the extreme circumstances that we witnessed and heard about.

What I was most impressed with was the incredible stength of heart and mind that the prisoners maintained while locked up. They organized schools and trainings and kept each other actively and positively in the struggle for freedom... (again, more thoughts will be posted soon)

1 comment:

charlita said...

wowza. that sounds like a good read. say hi to Deb for me. thinking of you enmeshed in the struggle for liberty. big love,
charla