~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

April 16, 2007

Cheers to street food!

I've always said that the U.S. needs more food--life!--on our streets. It always seems to be the best food. Here are some of my favorites:

Baked sweet potato with lime and chili powder, by the ocean. Yum.

My favorite snack: roasted maize... and the maize they have here is not sweet and juicy like in the States, but instead each kernal is tough and full of food... it takes at least 20 minutes to munch down one of these, and is quite satisfying. I hope I can find corn like this at home! (actually, someone told me that in the U.S. this is the type of corn that we feed to cattle...)

And the best: a full kitchen on the street. In Mombasa, many street corners get lively at night with these sidewalk restaurants. I had a yummy meal here of beans, rice, spinach and a chapatti (all for .75 cents). I told this Nomsa that if we were allowed to do this in the States, this is what I would do!! I love it!

Wait! One more delight: since Mombasa is so tropical in weather, they have all sorts of fresh delicious fruit. There fruit carts set up all over the place, and they will make a fresh fruit salad for you. Super super yum.

No comments: