~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

June 29, 2007

The Book Cafe: coolest spot in town

I couldn't believe the things I heard at the Book Cafe poetry slam. In a country where it is illegal to have a public meeting or independent media, people where standing up and speaking out loud about resisting oppression. Of course, there were government agents in the crowd, but somehow the Book Cafe remains an oasis, truly. Like the Red and Black Cafe in Portland, Oregon, it became my home base when I went downtown.

Besides the monthly poetry slam, they also host weekly mbira sessions on Friday nights (completely blew me away), comedy nights on Thursday (the jester can tell the king the truth, right?) and various other gatherings. And, yes, there is a small (interesting) book shop attached to it.


This photo was my last morning in Harare, where I sat in the cafe for an hour before it opened (nothing happens on time!). Cheers to the Book Cafe!!!!

No comments: