~~Portland Cross-Pollination Project!~~

..................................Check it out!!..................................

April 04, 2008

This is how the world seems to work…

The other night I followed a whim and went to a benefit event for a women’s health clinic in Guatemala. It was held at New Borne Tribe, which is usually a Rasta type shop and music hall. I thought the cross-pollination there would be interesting.


So, indeed it was an interesting evening, but I want to observe one thing: this was hosted (and mainly attended by) yet another sparky group of young women who went to another country, connected with a group there, and now is working to send them resources. I saw myself in these women (which is why I took this photo of one of the organizers photoing her own table—I do that!), but somehow I was triggered by this: look at all of these “random” little fundraiser events that people are always trying to put on, raising maybe a few hundred dollars if we can. (Those of us at TLC Farm did this, too, with our benefit to raise transportation money so that we could connect with the global network of the Berkana Exchange.)

I don’t know whether to see these as beautiful acts of education and grassroots fundraising, or whether they feel like so much energy with relatively little gain. (you can see I’m in a cynical mood) There’s something that just feels draining about all of these inspired young Americans (myself definitely included) trying so hard to get people to care about the people or places that they’ve been (and where there are serious problems, often caused by the U.S.). Somehow my mind wants to “do something” with this energy… so many of us doing the same kind of thing, all in our own bubbles… Or maybe this is exactly what grassroots fundraising looks like and I should be celebrating all of the creative and loving efforts…

It’s also interesting to think about these events as another type of remittance from the U.S. to other countries, which I think is the number one source of income for many people around the world.

Another lesson in: “this is how the world works” (currently). I’d love to hear comments about this…

No comments: